Last updated on November 13th, 2023 at 06:47 pm
Yankee Stadium is the Major League Baseball home to the New York Yankees and, at times, New York City FC, a member of Major League Soccer. The bag policy at Yankee Stadium allows fans to bring backpacks and other compliant bags into the venue for games and concerts. The official bag policy for the ballpark in the Bronx is that the backpack can’t exceed 16”x16”x8” and can’t be a hard-sided bag or container.
Here is the complete Yankee Stadium bag policy guide for your next baseball game, soccer match, or concert. I also share my bag recommendation on what to bring to the game. Finally, there is an affiliate link to Amazon on this page.
Below are the different types of bags you can bring into Yankee Stadium for an event.
- A drawstring backpack / and soft-sided personal item
- A small purse
- Bringing your laptop bag to the venue
- A completely clear backpack. As a note, other venues in MLB are no longer allowing backpacks into their stadium, so getting a clear backpack will be a smart choice in the future if you need a bag to bring to games.
- Bringing your camera bag to the stadium
- A fanny pack
- A clear fanny pack
My Clear Bag Recommendation for Yankee Stadium
I made the mistake of bringing my laptop and laptop bag to a game to Yankee Stadium since I got off the train. Yankee Stadium does not allow laptops to enter the venue, so I had to scramble and find a bar to put both my laptop bag and laptop at.
Today, I try and only bring my clear fanny pack that is 11″ x 6.5″ x 5.9″ to the stadium. Even though Yankee Stadium in 2023 did not require the bag to be clear, more and more venues are adopting that policy, so I’m only planning ahead. Here are some of the reasons I recommend brining a clear fanny pack.
- I have not had any issues bringing this bag to any stadium. Most of the time, security will just look at this bag via a visual inspection and then head it back to me. I’ve only been stopped a few times to ask what was in my microphone pouch
- The bag itself is easy to wear across my body, so I don’t need to wear it like a traditional fanny pack
- It is clear, which is important. More and more venues are moving towards a clear bag policy. Therefore, I recommend investing in a clear bag since there is a good chance other venues you visit will require that
- I like the two compartments the bag has. It allows me to put my keys and my phone in the front compartment pocket. All of my other stuff can go into the bigger compartment.
- Also, this bag is small enough that doesn’t get in the way if I need to wear a coat over it for game
Below is my video recommending what clear bag to bring into stadiums.
How Does Yankee Stadium Review Your Bag?
If you are coming to Yankee Stadium for an MLB game, MLS match, or concert, you can expect a metal detector for fans to pass through via the security checkpoint. If you carry a purse or backup, you must have the security personnel staff review your bag separately by placing it in the bag-size bin and the metal detector screening. The stadium staff will open your bag to do their review and will either allow your bag to enter or not. If your bag does not exceed 16”x16”x8” and is not hard-sided, you shouldn’t have an issue bringing it in.
What Items Can’t You Bring into Yankee Stadium for a Game or Concert?
MLB.com has an extensive list of prohibited items for Yankee Stadium that fans should visit before their next event to know what they can’t bring into the stadium. Here is a quick list of things you can’t bring into the stadium.
- Glass bottles
- Laser pens and laser pointers
- Selfie sticks
- Drugs, Alcohol, Fireworks, Firearms, etc.
- Air horns / Noisemakers
- Animals that are not service animals for the guest
What Should You Do If Your Bag Is Too Big to Enter Yankee Stadium?
It is worth noting that there is no storage area directly at Yankee Stadium for you to leave your bag if it is too big. If you feel your bag is too big / stadium security denies your bag stadium access, go to the bars and stores directly behind the stadium to see if they will take it. Most places will take your bag if they have the space for $5 or $10. However, it is a first come, first serve with these lockers and bags they can hold at their place, so plan to arrive early at Yankee Stadium to drop off your bag rather than closer to game time.
As a note, I went to DUGOUTBX to leave my backpack there for $5 during an NYCFC game in 2022. I’ve also left my backpack at the Yankee Souvenir shop near Billy’s Bar and Stan’s without any issue.
If you drove directly to the stadium, you can bring your bag to your car and leave it there. From there, you will need to get back in line to enter the stadium for your game or concert.
Additional Helpful Links
Here is the complete Yankee Stadium Parking guide if you want to learn more.
Check out the complete Yankee Stadium food guide to see what you can get directly at the venue.
Final Thoughts: Yankee Stadium Bag Policy
From my experience, I’ve been able to bring in a backpack to Yankee Stadium without any issues. My friends who also bring backpacks into the stadium don’t have any issues as well. However, if I have my laptop with me, I leave my backpack at one of the bars.
Also, consider getting a clear single-compartment bag for your next Yankees game. More and more venues are only allowing clear bags in their facility, so you might as well get one now.
Greg Kristan, owner of The Stadium Reviews, LLC and TM Blast, LLC, brings his extensive experience visiting over half of the MLB ballparks, along with numerous MLS, NHL, NBA, and NFL venues, to provide in-depth coverage on the bag policy, food options, and parking. He has also been interviewed about his experiences on several sports podcasts.