Best Food at Tropicana Field
Tropicana Field (The Trop) is home to the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Florida. The biggest complaint about the ballpark is the dome and catwalks over the field, so the Rays can’t do much about that since it supports its structure. However, the Rays are a great team each season, so you are going for the quality of the team and the AC environment on a hot summer day.
Here are some of the best food and drinks to get when catching a baseball game at Tropicana Field.
Classic Tropicana Field Food Choices
- Classic Food: Nathan’s Hot dogs, sausages, burgers, bratwurst, popcorn, pretzels, nachos, and more throughout the ballpark’s concession stands
- Loaded French Fries: Chorizo meat, fresh jalapenos, sour cream, and more
- Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich: A breaded chicken thigh served with two pickles and hot honey on a potato bun
- Kahwa: Serving up coffee and espresso out in sections 102, 149, and 150
- Papa John’s Pizza: Classic Italian pizza out in sections 149, 150, and the food hall
New Food at Tropicana Field
- Short Rib Grilled Cheese: Loaded grille cheese with short rib, onions, chips, and more out at the Budweiser Porch out in the center field
- BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos: Blue corn tortilla chips, salsa, jalapenos, sour cream, and more out in sections 149, 150, 300 level, and Ybor Station
- TB Cuban Sandwich: The perfect Cuban sandwich with pork, ham, cheese, a pickle, and more out in sections 146, 148, and the Ybor Station
- Pacific Counter’s: Rice bowls, drinks, and sushi out in the First Base Food Hall
- Ducky’s West Tampa Bowl: Pork, onions, brown rice, and black beans served in a bowl next to the outfield porch at the stadium
- Pork and Cheese: A play on the traditional cheesesteak with slow-roasted pork with a spicy dressing
Classic Dessert Choices
- Beans & Barlour: Boozy milkshake flavors including cotton candy, caramel, and peanut butter
- Sweet Stack Shack: Offering ice cream sandwiches with cookies and brownies near Gate 5
Can You Bring Your Food into Tropicana Field?
According to MLB.com, fans can’t bring any outside food into Tropicana Field for a baseball game. However, fans can bring sealed-up water into the facility. Finally, anything you try and bring into the venue is subject to an inspection by the security staff at the ballpark.
Can You Smoke Inside the Facility?
There is no smoking inside Tropicana Field.
Popular Matches Against the Tampa Bay Rays
The Tampa Bay Rays are one of the more exciting teams playing baseball, but they have a hard time getting fans to their stadium. However, while most of the season is difficult to attract fans to the venue, specific matches always pack the stadium. Those big matches are against the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Miami Marlins, and Houston Astros.
Fans looking for cheap Tampa Bay Rays tickets should consider going to a weekday match. A weekday match will be more affordable than a weekend game, especially if you look at the secondary market. Fans looking for the cheapest weekday games at Tropicana Field should go when the Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, or Detroit Tigers come and visit.
How Many World Series Championships Have the Tampa Bay Rays Won?
Since entering Major League Baseball in 1998, the Tampa Bay Rays (previously the Tampa Bay Devil Rays) have not won a World Series title. However, they have been to the World Series twice. The two times they went to the World Series were in 2008 and 2020.
What is the Average Game Day Attendance at Tropicana Field?
The 2021 Major League Baseball season limited the number of fans that could sit at games. However, just like in most years, Tropicana Field consistently ranks towards the bottom of the league via gameday attendance. Only 9.5k fans on average would go to Tampa Bay Rays games, which is why management closed off the upper deck during the regular season to cut costs.
Conclusion: Tropicana Field Food
In conclusion, Tropicana Field offers a more family-friendly atmosphere than other ballparks. The Rays tank in the right field, the outdoor party sections behind the center-field wall, family sections in the stadium, and the Ted Williams Museum out in the right-field are all nice touches to Tropicana Field. Not only are the Rays making the experience of coming to their venue better, but they have been one of the better teams in the league these past few seasons.
In addition to having a great product on the field, the Rays continue to upgrade their ballpark food choices. They enhance the ballpark food by working with local Tampa Bay area restaurants to bring their food and drinks into the venue.
Finally, Rays fans should check out the Tropicana Field Parking tips before heading to the stadium. Finding parking won’t be too difficult since the stadium is in a big parking lot, but some matchups bring sellout crowds. When the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox visit the Rays, you can expect parking to be complicated.